Thursday, October 27, 2016

Timing is everything

I am not a huge believer in luck. I think luck is fabricated by circumstance and decision making, and whatever you decide determines the circumstances, thus breeding what we call luck.
That being said, I think I want to rethink this stance. I’ve been working on the edge of my passion, beer, and brewing, for about a year now. I had a brewing company that never got off the ground, because one person wasn’t as into doing work as I was led to believe. I interned at Outer Light Brewing Company, making beer, and helping them out when I could, and that was awesome in a lot of ways. I had to stop doing that, however, because I got a job that took up my time and paid me in money, rather than growlers of tasty beer.
I worked at a vineyard, and that sucked. I wasn’t built to be a farmer. I worked at a beer garden, but that fell away when the Summer ended. I’ve been applying to breweries and distributors for over a year, and nothing came of it.
Then I got a phone call yesterday.
I was at work, and my phone goes off. I look at the caller ID, and it says that Georgia is calling me. I know no one in Georgia, so I ignore it and the call goes to voicemail. I am sure that it is some solicitor or otherwise useless call that won’t leave a message, but I was wrong. One new voicemail. Like I said, I was at work, so I couldn’t check it at the time, but I was intrigued. I never get voicemail, hell I rarely get actual phone calls. Everyone texts now, it’s 2016 for Christ’s sake.
On my way to my car, after my shift ended, I (obviously) checked my message. Here’s is a pretty accurate representation of how it went:
“Hello, this message is for Sean Derby. My name is [redacted for safety] and I’m a recruiter for [also redacted]. One of our clients, located in Sjoisehdkfjda (unintelligible parts will be written in jibberish from here on out), has seen your resume and wants to talk to you about the skdfjaskldj position they have open. They skdjflksdj jioerupioawjsk, and iirjheoiajfoksdfn knasjkdha. Please call us back at [redacted] if you are interested, and I will email you these details as well.”
Well, at least they’ll email me.
This morning, before I wrote this, I checked my email. Sure enough, there is an email sitting there from the recruiter with the subject line “Seeking a distiller in Milton, Delaware.”
Who is it, Dogfish Head? They distill. I’ve had several of their offerings, the gin is delicious.
“Our client is located in Milton, Delaware…” It’s gotta be Dogfish Head, right? “They are a reputed Brewing Company founded in 1995…” Yep, Dogfish Head. “who has a brewery, inn, and 2 restaurants.” Yea, this is Dogfish Head. Not even a question about it.
They are currently looking for a distiller, something I have absolutely no experience in, although I could learn pretty quickly. The shitty thing about this is that I signed a lease a month ago, so the timing of this couldn’t be worse. If they would have sent me that email 6 weeks ago, I’d be living in Delaware right now and working in a distillery, probably cleaning vats once filled with rum. I’d have done it, too.
If the timing was right. But I can’t break the lease, and that sucks. I would have jumped at the opportunity, but the timing wasn’t right. I think the universe looks at me and giggles maniacally sometimes. I’d have gone down there just to interview. I was ready to uproot everything for a decent job out of town. I thought my time was up here, and I just needed a job to take me away from this place. But I got a job. I like my job. Circumstance and decisions. What a bitch.
Maybe luck is a thing, and maybe I just have rotten luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment