Thursday, October 30, 2014

Teamwork?

I am clearly the worst person on this team. I am not having the grand ole time that I thought I was going to, and there are several reasons for that.

I am not in the place that they told me I was going to. Soldotna and the surrounding areas are not anywhere close to Anchorage. I am paired with someone that I have NOTHING to say to. He talks and talks, and I just have no response. The work is terrible. I have to go from home to home in the boondocks of Alaska, driving down awful dirt roads to places that have no desire to be found. The people here are getting more and more pissed at us for doing our jobs, and I don't blame them. The other people here are hardcore young Republicans, and I am clearly not, so even though they are decent folks, I disagree with them on most things. I would do that anyway, because there is nothing to do here and I am bored. When I get bored, I have to make my own fun. When I make my own fun, it's usually at someone's expense. At least they think I'm funny. I'm shocked one of these kids hasn't taken a swing at me at this point.

New goal: Get Bryan to throw a punch at me. Then beat the ever loving shit out of him. In self defense, of course.

I'm just ready for this to be over. I really miss driving on pavement. Perhaps if I were in Anchorage I would be having a far different experience. I think that if I were in an urban area, with stuff going on and places to go that might actually be interesting, I would have a different view of this place.

I will miss the scenery up here. It's like a postcard everywhere you look. Forests, mountains, clean lakes, and unusual (for me) wildlife have made this a visually enriching experience. I am drained mentally though. The picturesque vistas don't do much for me other than gain a heartier respect for the beauty of nature.

But that isn't enough for me. This job is just a job. It has 0 challenge for me, other than making it through the day. I find that my temper is starting to become more and more obtrusive. I don't want it to show up, but it does, and I snap at people, mostly the dude I'm paired with. He doesn't deserve it, most of the time. True, he fumbles over simple words and has trouble reading street signs properly, but that isn't that big of a deal. I have just been so frustrated with this place that I don't even bother hiding it anymore.

Other people have joined me. Their vitriol has grown as I water the seeds of their discontent. The rest of team is getting fed up with the work, the negativity of the people we have to talk to, and the crappy nature of this town. I feed into that. That is why I am the worst person here. I am making them have just as shitty a time as I am. I am worming my frustrations into their subconscious, and it's working. This is how I am passing the time.

Oh, and drinking. There is some good beer up here.

SD

No comments:

Post a Comment