Friday, April 13, 2012

A little more intense

Physical therapy was actually physical today.  Instead of prodding and small examinations, my therapist actually had my doing stuff.  I got on a stationary bike and bent my knee as far as it would go.  Not all that far, mind you, I couldn't make a full rotation of the wheel, but I went back and forth as much as I could for a few minutes.  I tried to stretch it out, but it's still swollen a little, so I can't really bend.

I learned that after this kind of surgery, the quad muscles really take a beating.  They are moved and manipulated in several ways, and therefore they take some time to recoup.  Electronic stimulation pads were placed on my leg (not my nips) and jacked up to the point where my leg muscles twitched.  While the electricity was coursing through my muscles, I was instructed to tighten them.  I felt myself growing stronger.  I am becoming super human.  Soon I will be strong enough to kick a person through a building.  Well, not quite yet, but soon. 

I still have to maintain the exercises that were prescribed to me, but I expected that.  They were easier to do yesterday than the day before.  I wonder how much of that is recovery, or if my mind has just getting used to it and I THINK that is it easier.  The other positive development is the unlocking of my brace.  I have been allowed to walk---ish with the crutches bearing most of the wait for my right leg.  I can put a little pressure on my foot, and move it in the same walking motion that normal people use, that I used to use, when I go from point a to point b.  I can keep it off while I'm not doing anything, but if I have to go anywhere of any distance, like out of my apartment, I have to put the brace on.  The brace moves on its hinge now, so the burden isn't as terrible.  I still can't sit with my foot at a 90 degree angle, but the brace lets it bend.  I was instructed to focus on bending the knee inside of the brace while "walking."  I should be off the crutches soon and as I grow in confidence with my new fangled walking I should be okay with that. 

As the therapy moves forward, I wil learn how much I can stand, in terms of pressure and pain.  Bring it on.  I want to get this over with, I think that I have made that clear.  If that means having a rather intense therapy session, so be it.  Each time in I get a little closer to 100%.  I have to be diligent, though, and make certain that I do my exercises and pay attention to my therapist and my body. 

One step at a time.

SD

No comments:

Post a Comment