Monday, April 9, 2012

Post Op

I still got these goddamn stitches in my leg.  I thought I was going to get them out this morning and as it turns out, that thought was incorrect.  They get to be attached to my flesh for another week.  This is the first time that I have every had stitches, so I guess that I shouldn't be surprised at their lifetime.  I have nothing to compare it to. 

They look weird.  I can't even describe it   But I'm going to try.  Because I'm a dick like that.  Where the scope is a stitch at each point.  It looks like two little antennae are poking out at each incision point.  The actual incision point, where the bulk of the cutting happened, has a series of stitches, 6 in all.  They are in a line, and no, the doc didn't pull something funny and stitch his initials into my skin.  I find that I am both happy about that but a little dissappointed at the same time.  While I don't want to have a tag of ownership permanently scarred onto my leg, it would make for a good story.  Oh well.

The actual wound now looks like spongy mountain range.  There are peaks and valleys, and a slope of dried blood crust on the Southern slope.  It's a blood avalanche.  Which is now in the top three metal band names ever (with God Hammer and Murder Church).  The remaining wound bits look like a cross between the crimped edge of a calzone and the tied up part of a roast.  But all pasty white.  Like, really really white.  I also have these blue dots in the knee region.  The dots are a map for the doc to show him where things are in my leg.  A inter human landscape that helps him guide the machines and whatnot through the surgery.  Each dot is a landmark in the joint.  That's neat, I guess.  I would try to figure out what is what if I weren't still swollen like a beachball down there.

The disappointment of my lack of stitches was tempered by the removal of the huge Ace wrap that went from my foot to my thigh.  It has been replaced by a smaller one that is just around my knee.  I have to keep the ridiculous brace on for another week or so, but not all the time.  When sleeping, moving about, yeah, I have to keep it on.  But other than that, as long as I am careful with my leg, I don't have to have it on.  I got signed up for physical therapy.  I have to get in contact with them to set up a time.  I only have to go twice a week for the next six weeks.  And then it's over, end of PT.  Seems pretty quick, but that's cool.  Everything seems to happen slowly, so a quickening might be welcome.

PT is going to be through the hospital, which is nice, at least they are going to be professional.  The crappy part is that I can't drive there.  They aren't going to let me have the keys for at least a month.  I feel like I go a DUI.  I guess I get to be out of the brace and off the crutches in another week or two, depending on PT and how my knee responds to the surgery.  That being said, the surgery was boring.  That is the best thing I heard all day.  You want to have a boring surgery.  You don't want it to be an eventful situation for the doc.  When you are out, nothing odd happens, and the doc reports a pedestrian procedure, that is the best thing ever.  You want to have nothing special about your business. 

The beginning of the end of this ordeal is starting.  Look forward, as the monsters are behind you.

SD

No comments:

Post a Comment