Friday, April 6, 2012

Week/Weak

So it has been a week since the surgery.  Everything seems to still be there, but there are still some things that I would like to be able to do before I consider myself operational (hehe) again. 

I can take the brace off now and flex my leg, try to move it back and forth a bit.  This task is simple, but it is going to take a while before I have a comfortable range of motion.  On Monday I have an appointment to get the ace wrap taken off and, I would assume, the brick of gauze as well.  At that point, I will get my first viewing of the hot mess that my knee has become.  Perhaps the stitches come out as well, perhaps not, that prospect is pretty vague.  I got a call yesterday that confirmed the appointment, and the lady suggested that there might be staples instead of stitches.  I found that amusing.

I don't know what the wound is going to look like.  I am hoping that the doctor decided not to be a funny guy and sew his initials into my leg or some other silly shit like that.  It would make for a good story though.  In the week after the procedure, I have found that the days are going by faster.  I am able to entertain myself enough to pass the hours.  Opening day for baseball hasn't hurt, either.

I have been writing for The Scope, which has been fun.  Everything is light and made up, so I can work on that whenever I want.  This blog has helped, although sometimes I feel as though I need motivation to write here.  Then again, I can get to rambling, so time passes with that too. 

The one thing that I can't wait to do is get this contraption off of me.  I hate it.  It's bulky, heavy, awkward, and even though I completely understand the function of it, I think that it is a bit over the top.  On Monday, I think that the doc will give me a definitive schedule for therapy and eventual removal of the brace.  I want to walk again without crutches or a brace, but that is going to be some time.

The more immediate goal is to be able to take a shower that doesn't involve a sink.  I have to keep the ace wrap and gauze brick on 24/7 and they can't get wet, so that means I have had to clean myself in the sink instead of take an actual shower.  The day that changes will be welcome.  It's not that I am not cleaning myself, there is simply a difference between bathing in a sink and actually taking a real shower.  I never understood how much a meant, on a psychological level, until now.

What is killing me right now is that I don't think that I am going to be able to participate in Easter.  I think that this brace, the lack of ability to get pants over it, and the intermittent cold therapy is going to keep me house ridden for a few more days, until my appointment.

I can't be too mad, I did this to myself.

SD

No comments:

Post a Comment